Thursday, May 1, 2014

So That's How Big the Universe Is

Daily Random Amusing Science - Universe Scale

My calculations were off by a parsec but it was pretty close.

I've always been fascinated by the cosmos and its incomprehensible scale. It's such a fascination that if I meet God and he tells me that I can have one wish, my wish would be to "actually see" the universe in its entirety. That'd be awesome.

My kids are fascinated too. They love it when I talk to them about stars that are bigger than the sun. I love how they listen with eyes wide open as I show them how big the sun would be (beachball) if the earth would be the size of a pepper corn and just how small the sun would be (smaller than a dot) if it were compared to the biggest star (beachball) known to men. So this page is just a sweet sweet visual aide that I could show to them. To top it off, the scale even shows dinosaurs! How neat is that huh?

Props to the creators Cary Huang and Michael Huang.

Go here if you're as excited as I am - http://htwins.net/scale2/ 

Here comes the man in black.

No comments:

Post a Comment